Monday 7 October 2013

Influence Maps 2: The Nautilus and Artist Research


This is my second Influence Map for The Nautilus, this time I was interested in picking out a specific theme and design for the rooms and eventually after some research I decided to go for a Steampunk approach, finding that the aesthetics fit with both the period and feel of the story's setting. Hopefully these images will inspire a more interesting environment for my scenes from this chapter.


This next influence map is made up of images by other artists. I chose conceptual images from films, games and comics based around water as I needed some extra help getting to grips with how to create that kind of environment. 
The images starting from the top left and moving clockwise are: A capture from the trailer for the game "BioShock", showing the underwater city of Rapture; An imagining of Captain Nemo's ship The Nautilus featured in the comic "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"; Concept art from Disney's "The Little Mermaid"; The same as previous and lastly concept art by Hayao Miyazaki for the Studio Ghibli film "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea".
Each image is unique with it's own style and portrayal of the ocean, I found the lighting in the Disney pieces and the image of Rapture to be incredibly helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment